Blog Archive

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Top 5 Mets Players from 80's - today

In all of Mets history, there have been players that have risen to the occasion giving us fans exciting moments. The team does not have as much success like other baseball clubs, but the Mets have had their fair share of great moments due to great athletes.  The Mets have had their share of players that are the cause of our love for them.  The five men on this list are my personal top 5 players that have excited me and has made me believe.  I have been a fan since 1984, so these are players in my era. There are many, but these are my Top 5.

Reyes Return
5) Jose Reyes: Jose Reyes is by far the player that has excited the Mets fan base more than any other player.  He was fast, energetic and always with a smile on his face. Reyes left the team he started his career with for a bigger contract. He was never offered one from the Mets for they could not provide a huge deal due to financial issues. Reyes took a deal that no one would refuse. Reyes signed with the Miami Marlins where his stint was short-lived for he was traded to the Blue Jays and then to the Rockies. In Colorado, he was released by the team for injuries, and off the field trouble due to a domestic dispute with his wife. The Athlete was given a second chance with the team he started with and is now in the process of coming back to the Mets! Let’s us hope he brings the fire to this team once more. Jose, Jose, Jose, Jose Joseeeeee!

The team Captain David Wright
4)  David Wright: David is the longest tenured Met in history. His Love of the team and his class has made him a beloved player by all. He is the Team’s captain and chose to be on the team when the team was not playing very well at all.  David Wright has been plagued by injuries and is suffering from a back problem stenosis. Currently in the 2016 season, David is now recovering from surgery for a  herniated disk in his neck.  David may return at the end of the season, although many wonders if maybe this is the last we will see of Wright and he may be forced into early retirement. We can only pray that he would come back stronger.
Hall of Famer 2016 

3)   Mike Piazza:  Piazza is our second legend after The great Tom Seaver. When the Mets signed him, in a deal with the Marlins in 1998, he instantly changed the franchise. Made the Mets relevant again since the 80’s where the Mets owned New York City. The team became contenders and made it to the post-season two years in a row. Even as far as the World Series in 2000 against the Other New York team, not a good outcome for the fans of the orange and blue. Mike Piazza will be inducted into the baseball hall of fame at the end of July for being the best hitting catcher in history. Piazza will be the second player ever to be inducted with a Mets uniform.


Darryl Strawberry knocking home runs
2) Darryl Strawberry: The big man Darryl Strawberry. He hit multiple home runs every time I watched him play bringing me to jump and scream. He was fast, and he took no crap from anyone. Sadly another great star that ran into trouble off the field and also went to that “other” NY team and helped them win it all in 96. The Bronx team can thank the Mets for that your welcome!! Darryl has the most home runs in team history and is one of those players that will always remain in the hearts of all Mets fans.

Docter K 
1) Dwight Gooden:  AKA D.r K  or Doc the man responsible for my love of the New York Mets and the reason that this blog exists. Dwight Gooden hit the scene in baseball when I was seven years old. Back then I didn't know much about baseball or what team to pledge my allegiance to, but seeing him pitch did it. Hearing the sound of that glove when he threw a 103 mph curveball was magic. I wanted to be a pitcher the minute I saw him pitch, my baseball passion began with him. I wanted to play baseball every day, I wore nothing but orange and blue and became a fanatic. Dwight would’ve been a Hall of Famer and one of the greats if it was not for his constant battle with drugs.  He was released from the team and got a second chance by that other NY team and helped them to win their first championship in 16 years. I cheered him on even in that other team for he is the reason I love this game so much. Watching him pitch and striking out everyone, and win it all in 86 is a memory that I will never forget.   

    Many great players have come and gone, and they are much more to be named especially some before my time, however, none have impacted this fan as these five men. These players made me the fan that I am today, and I'm sure helped to create many others. We don’t have a great history and are not considered the best franchise in sports but I as a Mets fan personally feel that Mets fans are one of the best sports fan bases in the world. That’s right I said it. LET’S GO METS!

No comments:

Post a Comment